Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Campus Installments: The time this poor college student asked me to go to Kyle Field Day


It has been eight years since I graduated from Texas A&M. I have over 10 years of professional experience in my field. Yet, everyone, and I mean everyone, still thinks I am a college student.

I guess I should take this as a compliment, but it also can get annoying.

Take for instance the very nice college student who, just the other day, stopped me as I was coming back from a meeting dressed in business casual to ask if I was going to attend Kyle Field Day.

"No," I kindly replied to him. "I'm old."

"What?" he asked. "Let me guess. You're 22."

My reply: "Wrong. I'm over 30 with a husband and a kid. I just work here."

"Oh," he says as I assume he's thinking how damn good I look for my age.

And I'm thinking how I must give my mother credit for how well I age.

"Well, this event is open to the general public. You can bring your kid and we'll have frisbees and kickballs and all kinds of fun events."

"My kid is this tall (and I proceed to hold the palm of my hand about eight inches off the ground), and she can't stand. Or throw frisbees. She eats them."

By this time the poor kid is probably wishing he would have never stopped me in the first place.

"Well, hope to see you and your family there. Look for me if you go."

And I thank him and smile as I walk off, thinking to myself, "I'm sure Brady would be so thrilled to know that I had been asked to look for a random college student at an event."

And then I really think how Brady would react. And he would be disappointed that I didn't get a free T-shirt or two out of the conversation.

Dang it. I was too busy making sure he knew my daughter was only eight inches tall at nine months.

Get your head in the game, Jenna. Get your head in the game.

1 comment: